The Five Ways to Wellbeing
The Five Ways to Wellbeing are five evidence based actions that promote wellbeing. Based on the latest scientific evidence the simple actions, if taken regularly, can improve wellbeing and enhance quality of life.
To enhance wellbeing, we've designated the first day back after each school holiday as a 'Wellbeing Day.' Returning to school after a break can be daunting and anxiety-inducing, making it the perfect time to focus on everyone's wellbeing. Having structured wellbeing days can help alleviate stress and uncertainty. Each day has a different theme linked to The Five Ways of Wellbeing. They will feature non-academic activities designed to help pupils transition back into school life in a safe and supportive manner.
What are The Five Ways to Wellbeing?
Good relationships are important for your mental wellbeing. They can:
- help you to build a sense of belonging and self-worth
- give you an opportunity to share positive experiences
- provide emotional support and allow you to support others
Research suggests that acts of giving and kindness can help improve your mental wellbeing by:
- creating positive feelings and a sense of reward
- giving you a feeling of purpose and self-worth
- helping you connect with other people
Being active is not only great for your physical health and fitness. Evidence also shows it can also improve your mental wellbeing by:
- raising your self-esteem
- helping you to set goals or challenges and achieve them
- causing chemical changes in your brain which can help to positively change your mood
Research shows that learning new skills can also improve your mental wellbeing by:
- boosting self-confidence and raising self-esteem
- helping you to build a sense of purpose
- helping you to connect with others
Paying more attention to the present moment can improve your mental wellbeing. This includes your thoughts and feelings, your body and the world around you.
Some people call this awareness "mindfulness". Mindfulness can help you enjoy life more and understand yourself better. It can positively change the way you feel about life and how you approach challenges.