At Wardley CE Primary we teach French from Year 3 to Year 6. Our intent is that through our teaching of French as a modern foreign language we develop the following essential characteristics:
• The confidence to speak with good intonation and pronunciation.
• Fluency in reading.
• Fluency and imagination in writing.
• A strong awareness of the culture of the countries where the language is spoken.
• A passion for languages and a commitment to the subject.
• The ability to use language creatively and spontaneously.
• An independence in their studies and the ability to draw upon a wide range of resources.
To see what French topics and skills are taught in each year group click on the teaching cycle tab.
Any language learning should be engaging, active and very involved. Across key stage two, there are four key threshold concepts that the children will keep returning to in their French work. The children are assessed by the teacher during each unit against the age related expectations for these threshold concepts. They are:
- To read fluently
- To write imaginatively
- To speak confidently
- To understand the culture of the countries in which the language is spoken
Within each academic year French is taught in a weekly lesson using the CGP salute program. The learning is active and fun. It includes depth and detail about the French language and French culture. The lessons include singing and games to introduce new vocabulary and phrases to read and write. French will also be linked to other lessons, where possible, to provide a richer perspective.