Welcome to the EYFS
We are delighted to welcome your child to Wardley Primary school. This is a very important time for your child as it is the beginning of their journey at Wardley. We wish to work with you to make sure your child has the best possible start in school.
In Nursery and Reception we have high expectations and challenge each child to achieve the best they can. We offer a fantastic balance of adult-led and child initiated learning to ensure children make good progress.
In the Early Years Foundation Stage children learn best when they experience learning first hand, through meaningful interactions with others, through physical activity and through play. Our Early Years practise is based on on-going observation and assessment of the children within the curriculum.
The Early Years curriculum emphasises:
Prime areas of learning:
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
Specific areas of learning:
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
These 7 areas are used to plan your child’s learning activities. Children in the EYFS learn by exploring, being active and creative, both indoors and outdoors. Over the year we will gather evidence which will form a profile of your child’s learning journey.
For more information about these areas, please visit:
Our Early Years principles are based on the EYFS statutory guidance, four overarching principles of good practice:
- Every child is a unique child
- Children learn and develop well in enabling environments
- Children learn to be strong and independent through positive relationships
- Children develop and learn in different ways and at different rates.
A Literacy and Maths insight
Children in Reception and Nursery begin the foundations of early reading through the school’s RWI phonics scheme. During the year children develop their recognition of initial sounds, early blending, spelling and handwriting skills. They then begin to learn to apply these skills to help them read and write simple sentences. For more details of this scheme please visit the RWI section of this website.
Maths is taught in a fun and practical way in both in Reception and Nursery! Some of the things we will be covering this year are:
- Counting, including touch counting and estimation
- Understanding and using number
- Calculating simple addition and subtraction problems
- Describe shape, space and measures
- Practical Maths such as Maths in the Role-Play area.
- Learn to recognise and order numbers to 0-20
School day times:
Nursery: Mornings: 8.40 -11.30 Afternoons: 1.00 – 3.00
Reception: Mornings: 8.40 – 11.45 Afternoons: 1.00 – 3.05
What you will need for EYFS:
- Water bottle
- Book bag (can be purchased from the school office for £4.00)
- A warm coat
- Sensible school shoes (preferably with a Velcro strap)
Please can you ensure that all items brought into school are clearly labelled with names.
What can you do to help?
Reading: Reading is a journey that children progress at different levels. At Wardley we start our reading journey in Nursery whereby initial sounds are taught until they are recognised fluently. When children are fluent in these sounds they move onto blending words. Staff aim to change books at least two times a week, please ensure you complete each task given with your child.